|Rockford skyline, bridge over Rock River|
- Rockford was first settled around 1835 and was named after the ford across the Rock River (who'd of thunk?).
- The Rock River is a tributary of the Mississippi River, winds up into Wisconsin, and is about 285 miles long.
- Rockford is the third most populated city in Illinois, behind Chicago (of course) and Aurora (which is part of the Chicago-Metro area anyway). Population is a little over 150,000.
- Typical annual precipitation is 36.3 inches. The Rockford area is prone to violent thunderstorms from April to June (Yessssssss...I like thunderstorms. We did just move from an area that's perpetually in a drought!).
- The oldest surviving Harley-Davidson dealership is in Rockford (built in 1910 and still run by the same family that started it).
- There was a Navy frigate named USS Rockford.
- The Rockford Peaches were based here.