I used circular needles and followed this cabled beret pattern. It was pretty straightforward for the most part, since I figured out the whole cabling thing on my previous project. By the way, this is the same yarn I used for the orange coffee/mug sleeve, and I just barely had enough to make that and this beret from the one skein. I did run into a couple of challenges, but I always find that if I put it down for a while and go back to it, I can figure out what went wrong and correct it.
This orange complements my dark purple wool coat rather well. Now I just need to knit a scarf to match before winter rolls around again.
See my Ravelry project notes here.