Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2014

First Knitted Hat!

Well, I meant to post this at least six months ago, and I've already worn it through a harsh Midwest winter, but I finally knitted something in the round! So I can technically check off #2 on my list of knitting goals. I say "technically" because I didn't use double-pointed needles, but I've got another post coming up about that.


I used circular needles and followed this cabled beret pattern. It was pretty straightforward for the most part, since I figured out the whole cabling thing on my previous project. By the way, this is the same yarn I used for the orange coffee/mug sleeve, and I just barely had enough to make that and this beret from the one skein. I did run into a couple of challenges, but I always find that if I put it down for a while and go back to it, I can figure out what went wrong and correct it.


Once I had decreased to about 60 stitches, things started to get a little tight and uncomfortable on the needle, which I expected to happen. I really didn't like stretching out my stitches, so I looked up a how-to video on YouTube and used the "magic loop" method to finish. The pattern didn't mention anything about that, but it seemed to be the best solution.


I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, because for some reason, I had to knit it inside out, which resulted in probably the most awkward way anyone has attempted the magic loop method for the first time. I did put it down for almost a week, so maybe things got turned around in that time. Anyway, it all worked out in the end, once I figured out what was going on.

This orange complements my dark purple wool coat rather well. Now I just need to knit a scarf to match before winter rolls around again.


This was a good, portable project to take on a trip. I got a lot of it done on the drive to and from Florida over Christmas break.

See my Ravelry project notes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment