We finally found a decent BBQ place: Famous Dave's. They have a combination of different styles of barbecue. It's a chain, but (as far as we know) it's the best we've got up here.
- They actually serve real sweet tea (i.e., brewed--not from syrup or powder). In the Midwest.
- Their beef brisket is excellent.
- They have the perfect variety of sauces. On the table. In a caddy. That's how you do it.
- They let us sample the sauces (using BBQ-flavored potato chips) while we waited for our food.
- Their "Georgia mustard" sauce is really good. It has just enough vinegar in it to make it interesting.
- They don't refer to vinegar as "sauce".
- They offer mashed sweet potatoes in addition to regular (actual) potatoes.
- The service is great.
- They send coupons via e-mail.
- They totally used the word "hankerin'" on their web site.
- They have chopped pork--not pulled. Close enough. Tastes the same but doesn't soak up as much sauce.
- No fried okra.
- No hush puppies. But they do have very good (and sweet) cornbread muffins. We'll accept that.