Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Handmade Food Gifts

Food items are in this last installment of what we made for Christmas gifts. I had some rectangular labels, so I printed some for each item we made.

First, we made some nut and fruit mix, which included (for those who might not be able to read the label in the photo) almonds, salted cashews, dried cranberries, salted roasted peanuts, salted roasted pistachios, yogurt-covered raisins, and salted roasted sunflower seeds. I got the resealable bags we used from Michaels (they came in 3-packs).


Next, we made some peppermint chocolate-covered pretzels. We just added some peppermint oil to the melted chocolate before dipping the pretzels. We re-used some plastic containers (previously used for dry goods, like nuts) we had been collecting over the year from the grocery store. We did wash them, btw.


Finally, we made some chocolate-covered peanut butter balls. Somehow, I forgot to take pictures of the actual peanut butter balls. Oh, well. We'll make them again some time and (hopefully) take pictures. However, I did take pictures of the gift boxes I made to package them in. But first, we put each ball in a mini muffin liner and then put them in the same kind of plastic containers we used for the pretzels, to keep them contained and fresh. Nine balls fit comfortably in each container. I made boxes out of heavy card stock, using my scoring board. Box materials are listed below.





Box materials (to make 1 box):
2 12"x12" sheets of matching or coordinating heavy card stock (I used Christmas-y paper I got in a stack on clearance at Michaels)
scoring board (to make creases for folding)
scissors (for cutting corners to fold)
<1 sheet of red card stock
Fiskars cutting blade and template (for red card stock label border shape)
2"x2 5/8" printed label
green velvet ribbon (also got on clearance for $0.99 at Michaels)
double-sided tape (to adhere box corners, ribbon, and label border)

Each box was measured specifically to fit the size of the plastic container inside. I had to do a little trial-and-error testing to get them to the right size. They're not super durable, but they look nice, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment