Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Tea Tree Soap

My latest craft obsession has been soapmaking. Ed said he liked the smell of the tea tree essential oil I bought (40% off, of course!), so I made a couple of bars for him. I actually also used some Eucalyptus-Mint fragrance, but the tea tree oil kind of came out faster than I anticipated (despite the bottle having a dropper top), so all you can really smell is the tea tree.


I used one drop of blue liquid dye and two drops of yellow liquid dye to get the light green color. The color makes me think of the 1950s. It's not quite as masculine of a green as I had intended to make, but it does coordinate nicely with the washcloth I knitted. 


Supplies used (yielded two 4-oz. bars):
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) opaque white glycerin soap base (Michaels, with coupon)
1/2 tsp. sweet almond oil (grocery store)
Eucalyptus-Mint fragrance (Michaels)
Tea Tree essential oil (Hobby Lobby, with coupon)
1 drop blue liquid dye (Hobby Lobby)
2 drops yellow liquid dye (Hobby Lobby)
rounded ovals soap mold (Hobby Lobby)

I'm estimating that it cost $1.50-ish to make these two bars of soap, so about 75 cents each. The amounts used of the oils and dyes amount to pennies in cost, combined. The soap base was really the only item of relative significant cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment