Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Homemade Lip Balm

As I mentioned in the Christmas 2012 posts, I made some lip balm for gifts. I made a variety of flavors, including peppermint, lemon, orange, cappuccino, French vanilla, brown sugar, and pumpkin cheesecake, as well as a few others.

handmade lip balm

It's pretty easy and only takes about 30 minutes per batch. Most of the time is spent waiting for it to melt together and then harden again. I followed the "Flavored Lip Balm" recipe on the LorAnn Oils web site. One batch yields about eight standard lip balm tubes.

handmade lip balm

I did make one change, and that was to add a little bit more flavor oil (for most batches, I found that 1 tsp. was the right amount to cover the beeswax smell). I used the LorAnn Super Strength natural oils for the peppermint, lemon, and orange flavors. For the other flavors, I used some flavor oils I ordered from lipbalmtubes.com.


Supplies (see link above for recipe and instructions):
  • 1-cup glass measuring cup* and small pan (for double-boiler)
  • 1 Tbsp. and 1 tsp. measuring spoons*
  • small spatula (for stirring)*
  • 0.15-oz. lip balm tubes (lipbalmtubes.com)
  • beeswax pastilles (lipbalmtubes.com) (these are much easier to measure consistently than grated beeswax); I used yellow (unbleached)
  • shea butter (brambleberry.com)
  • sweet almond oil (got it from Valli Produce, the international market in town); could use extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil instead
  • flavor oil (LorAnn oils from Hobby Lobby baking supplies aisle; other flavor oils from lipbalmtubes.com)
  • 1.8"x1.8" waterproof inkjet labels (20 per sheet) (lipbalmtubes.com)
*If you want to make your own lip balm, be sure to dedicate the tools you use to lip balm-making only. It isn't recommended to make it in/with tools you use for cooking.

I printed the labels on our computer using the basic template they have on the lipbalmtubes.com web site. I also got some shrink bands (lipbalmtubes.com), but I couldn't get them to shrink for some reason.


Bonus: We'll never need to buy lip balm again!

No comments:

Post a Comment