Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial & Museum

At the end of my trip to Poland, I could have further explored Kraków for a day, but I chose to visit the Auschwitz-Birkenau site, which is about an hour's drive east of Kraków in Oświęcim.

The Auschwitz site:
The notorious sign stating that work would make one free



The Birkenau site:
Approaching Birkenau
Where the boxcars would stop to unload and sort people



Living conditions

The end of the track that led to the gas chambers and crematoria

The gas chambers and crematoria were destroyed by the SS toward the end of World War II
International monument

The tour was somber, but I'm glad I got the opportunity to visit this site.

Well, that concludes the series on my 2014 trip to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment