Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

More Washcloths

Are you getting tired of washcloth posts? Sorry, I guess washcloths are my favorite thing to knit right now. I think it's because:
  1. Each one takes less than one ball of yarn.
  2. They don't take very long (unless you procrastinate or get sidetracked, like me).
  3. You can try a bunch of different patterns and colors.
  4. They're useful. 
  5. They're easy to take along and work on when you know you have some time to kill.
Anyway, I diverted for a little while from the book of dishcloths I'm working through so I could make the washcloths in the Chicks with Sticks Guide to Knitting.
(image source)
That's the book I used to make my dad's scarf last Christmas. The book calls these "Dirty Girl Washcloths". They were quick and easy for me; no new techniques to figure out. I used Lily Sugar'n Cream cotton yarn for all three.

knitted Dirty Girl Washcloths

One of them is just knit (garter) stitch, which I surpirisingly hadn't done a washcloth in yet. I used US size 7 needles for this one.


Garter stitch washcloth closeup
Another was stockinette stitch with a garter stitch border (to keep its shape). I used US size 6 needles, which is what the book called for (actually it called for size 6 for all three), but it ended up really wide and not long enough when I followed the pattern, so I added about 10 rows to make it longer.


Stockinette stitch washcloth closeup
The last one was a basket weave pattern (pretty much the same pattern I used on my dad's scarf). I used US size 5 needles for this one, and it came out about the right size (10" square).

 
Basket weave washcloth closeup

I'm working on some vacation posts, so those should be coming shortly.

2 comments:

  1. The knitting stitch is the only one I can reliably manage (if I get distracted, my purl turns into a knit). Maybe next you'll get into felting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I might try felting. The book mentioned above has a few felting projects I could try. Thanks for your comment, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete